Snowflake Summit 2019 Welcome
Today I attended the opening keynotes of the 1st Snowflake Summit in San Francisco. Frank Slootman, Snowflake’s Chairman & CEO opened the Summit. Christian Kleinerman, VP of Product discussed how Snowflake focuses on ensuring how you get value from your #Data; faster, simpler and more affordably. Relentless innovation, that’s how they approach product development and innovation at Snowflake without planned downtime or interruptions. A few notes on the Snowflake Summit 2019 Welcome. This is what I heard this morning.
Frank Slootman, Snowflake’s Chairman & CEO
Snowflake is; “Built for the Cloud”. This means, Snowflake cannot run On-Premise. “Your data no limits”. Certainly, Snowflake’s unique capabilities are based on a few characteristics:
- Scale (Separation of Storage & Compute)
Snowflake values – Customer first versus Employee first. Being a partner instead of a vendor. That’s the focus of Snowflake. “Customer First ” is on top of the Snowflake’s value hierarchy. This means Snowflake has to earn the customer’s trust and make the customer successful. A customer’s succes is Snowflake’s succes.
Frank Slootman also made a few announcements. Snowflake started on AWS. The second cloud platform, Snowflake came available on Azure because of Azure was the chosen cloud platform for several customers (Customer First). Being a true multi cloud solution provider, Snowflake will be available on the Google Cloud. Check the announcement here.
Another announcement is the Data Exchange. The Snowflake Data Exchange is like an Appstore but then for data. It’s software based on Snowflake’s unique Secure Data Sharing architecture. This is a very interesting innovation, which allows customers to get; “Instant, Live and Secure” access to relevant external data, without the need to copy that data back and forth. “The world’s Data & Yours”.
Christian Kleinerman – Snowflake VP of Product
Looking back on the innovations being applied in the previous period is not easy. If you still want to see what happened, you should check out the all the features in the Snowflake Release Note. All new features are validated on value by the customer.
Partnerships are important to move forward and get the most out of Snowflake.
- Partner (Data) Connect
- Security / Privacy
- Solution Partners
- Guidelines (Quick Start Tableau and Snowflake on AWS)
- Best Practices
The (near) future of Snowflake is based on 4 pillars. Find the list below with the highlighted elements which are to be expected in the following releases.
Core DWH – The basis of Snowflake
- Query Performance
- return to client
- Security – System and capabilities
- Identity relay – management between the various systems to operate Snowflake
- Security Integrations
- Richer Experiences
- new SQL features
- Geo Spatial capabilities
- Worksheet 3.0 (User Experience)
- Numeracy Acquisition –
- Snowflake’s DWH User Interface
- The best of Numeracy with the best of Worksheets
- Cloud Data Centers and the region of Choice
- Snowflake Ingestion with SnowPipe or Copy – (including unloading)
- Credential-less stages
- Storage Integration
- More control on the touchpoints
- External Stage (AWS S3, Azure Blobs, GCS)
- Snowpipe Auto Ingest
- Kafka Connector – direct integration into a Snowflake table
- Table Streams (incremental processing of data) & Tasks (SQL statements / Business Logic on a schedule)
- Transformations and dependencies between the two
- Snowflake as a Data Lake – Managed Service with Performance
- Snowflake augment the existing Data Lake
- External Table (Definition in Snowflake, Data in Data Lake)
- Hive Metastore integration
- Materialized Views on top of External Tables
- Snowflake augment the existing Data Lake
“Available Today in Public Preview”
Multi Cloud Simplified
- Snowflake Organization (policies) – Separation between Account and organisation
- Database Replication (public Preview in Q3) between accounts (cross region and cross cloud)
- Including Table Streams and Tasks
- Failover primary and secondary including client re-direct
Secure Data Sharing
- Standard Share (Demographic, Weather, Industry Benchmark)
- Personalised Share (as Customer get your own Data)
- Secure Views to get your slice of the data
Thanks for reading.