The notebook below is a continuation of a previous blogpost where I started loading F1 Data into Snowflake ❄️ using the Ergast API. Next up is plotting this data on a map using Folium. Folium is a Python library used for visualizing Geospatial Data. *”It builds on the data wrangling strengths of the Python ecosystem and the mapping strengths of the Leaflet.js library. Manipulate your data in Python, then visualize it in a Leaflet map via folium.”*
Follow the steps below to get things started.
- I use an Anaconda environment from where I have started Jupyter Lab.
- Next install all the necessary library’s
- Import necessary library’s
- Create a function to get a Continent based on the Country and
- Create a function to define the marker color based on the Continent
- Setting up a Snowflake connection
- After setting the connection to Snowflake it’s time to connect to the database, verify the connection and get the data out of the Circuits-table
- Convert the Data output to a Pandas Data Frame so we can plot this Data on a Folium Map
- Create the Folium Map. In this example 3 different variants:
- World Map
- Continent Map (Europe)
- Country Map (France)
The above notebook results in the below maps.
Continent Map (Europe)
Country Map (France)
This example provided the steps to plot F1 Circuit Locations into a map using Folium; a Python library used for visualizing Geospatial Data. Please check it out and let me know what you think. The code is on Github. In a next example I will covert this code into a Streamlit Application.
Till next time.